Partner Visas New Zealand

Relationships are important for happiness and wellbeing. Sometimes people meet their partners abroad, and so living together may prove difficult due to length of stay regulations dictated by immigration policy.

Borders shouldn’t limit the ability of people to spend time with their partners. That’s why New Zealand offers a range of different partner visa options to help NZ citizens bring their partners into the country.

Many of these relationship visas require evidence of living together. Visa conditions are carefully written not to obstruct unmarried partners living in de facto relationships from obtaining visas.


Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa

The Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa allows partners of NZ citizens or residents to permanently move to NZ. Partners can be of opposite sex or same sex, and must be living together in a genuine and stable relationship. This can be in the form of a civil marriage, civil union or de facto relationship.

If successful, the visa allows partners to live, work and study without limitations in New Zealand. Dependent children below the age of 24 can also be included in the visa application.

Partner Of A New Zealander Resident Visa - Application Conditions

A condition of the Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa is that your partner lives in NZ at the time of application if their residence is based on their Australian citizenship or permanent residency.

If you have been living with your New Zealand citizen partner for over 5 years outside New Zealand, you may be eligible for a permanent resident visa. This is on the condition that the application is submitted while your partner is overseas or has been back in New Zealand for less than 3 months. 

If the application was submitted while overseas, you must move to NZ within 12 months of approval. After arriving in New Zealand, there are no restrictions on travel in and out of New Zealand until the travel conditions expire - which happens 2 years after you first arrive in NZ.


Temporary Partner Visa NZ

Work or visitor visas can be used to visit a partner temporarily in New Zealand. These don’t require the more stringent relationship evidence, and may be a good option for those that only want to stay in NZ temporarily.

Partner Of A New Zealander Work Visa

The Partner Of A New Zealander Work Visa is a temporary visa that allows partners of NZ citizens and residents to come and work in NZ. The length of stay depends on how long partners have been together. 

A 1 year stay is permitted for partners that have been together for less than 12 months and a 2 year stay is permitted for partners that have been together for more than 12 months.

Partner Of A Worker Work Visa NZ

The Partner of a Worker Work Visa is similar to the Partner of a New Zealander work visa, but with this visa your partner does not need to be a New Zealand citizen or resident. The only requirement is that they have a valid work visa. This visa does not require you to have a NZ job offer lined up to apply. 

The Partner of a Worker Work Visa allows you to work without limitations and study up to 3 months in NZ. It expires at the same time as your partner’s work visa expires. This is a great option for those with partners that frequently work abroad for long periods of time.

Visas For Partner’s 
Dependent Children

Dependent children can be added to visa applications as long as they meet the required criteria.

Dependent children must:

  • Not be married
  • Rely on their parents for financial support
  • Have no children of their own

For resident visas dependent children can be 24 years old or under. For temporary visas dependent children must be 19 years old and under. 

If your children don’t meet the definition above, then they can apply for their own visas. These include work visas, visitor visas and student visas.

Marrying An 
Australian Citizen

If you are a New Zealand citizen and you marry an Australian citizen you have several options for living together. Due to special diplomatic arrangements between the two countries, immigration policy is more relaxed. 

If you choose to marry an Australian citizen you can live together either in New Zealand or Australia. If you’d like your partner to move to NZ, the Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa is a good option that will allow them to stay in NZ permanently.

Alternatively, if you’d like to live together in Australia, the Subclass 820 Temporary Partner Visa may be suitable. This visa leads into the Subclass 801 visa, which is a permanent partner visa. This is a  good option as marriage is not required. If marriage is on the table, then the Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) may be another option.

Partner Of A  
Student Work Visa

The Partner Of A Student Work Visa allows you to work and study (up to 3 months) in NZ for the duration of your partner's student visa. Your partner must be studying a Level 7 or 8 qualification on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or a Level 9 or 10 qualification. You don’t need a job lined up in NZ to apply. 

Want to immigrate?

IMMagine Immigration offers a range of immigration services, including assistance with Student Visas, Parent Visas, Work Visas, and Citizenship Applications.
Attend a Free Seminar